Check out Wells Wheels on ETSY

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/dashboard?ref=mcpa

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thankful for Forgiveness Day 25

   I am so thankful for the forgiveness that my Savior has shown to me.  Jesus has called me to be his daughter.  All I have to do is come to Him in prayer and confess my sins, admit I need Him and believe that He died on the cross to save me.  That is it!    I prayed this prayer  as a child.  I may have strayed or got angry at God and made mistakes but it never changes His love for me. I still get to spend eternity with Him.  One thing I know is that this forgiveness is real and that He will never leave me or forsake me. 

      This topic  is huge but I just wanted to share something I learned in my church Bible study group on Tuesday.  We looked up this verse about revenge or retaliation when someone has does something to hurt us.  When this happens we usually want to get back at the person and make them hurt as much as we do but that is not what the Bible teaches us to do.  You may have heard this verse before and I think it is very clear!
Romans12:17-21
 "Repay no one evil for evil. 
 Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peacably with all men.
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves,
but rather give place to wrath for it is written
"Vengenance is mine, I will repay", says the Lord.
(and now the hard part)
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him.
If he is thirsty, give him a drink.
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.
Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good."
     The part that I learned was that when we pray for our enemies and are nice to them  (feed them and give them drinks) we are pouring blessings on them.  The part about the coals which I thought meant that they would be punished is not that at all.  God wants us to be kind to our enemies and in doing so we may have a part in bringing a change about in them.  The coals actually were a good thing back in the days of Jesus.  When people traveled long distances they would carry coals with them so that when it got cold at night they could easily start a fire.  Having coals meant warmth and a way to cook food.  It was a great thing!
     So even though the selfish part of me thought of only vengenance, God is looking at the bigger picture.  That if I can be light and kindness to even my enemies, they will feel the love of Jesus through me and may come to know Him someday also!  So as hard as it is to forgive the ones who have wronged me, I try very hard to do so.  Sometimes I have to ask God to help me.  Sometimes, I have to place this person before the Lord over and over again.  Eventually He will bring it about.  It takes time.  It isn't easy but it is something He has been teaching me this year.  I trust Him to bring good out of even these difficult situations. 
This song by Matthew West called Forgiveness really speaks to me
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying to find Peace

   Lord, time of quiet with You is scarce  My brain is scattered  My cup is bare I fill the day meeting needs Working Chasing Not on my knee...