Check out Wells Wheels on ETSY

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/dashboard?ref=mcpa

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Goldfish in a Bowl

         I always dress up for Halloween.  I have fun trying to come up with something new an exciting every year.  The main reason I do dress up though is to entertain my patients.  I am a dialysis technician and my patients have to come in for their treatment three days a week for 3 to 4 hours at a time.  Needless to say, I spend a lot of time with them and get to know them well.  They are like family to me.  So Halloween is just a day when I can put something crazy on and know that I can get a smile out of them!  
     Last year, I dressed up as spaghetti and meatballs.  I've been a gypsy, an avon lady, a frumpy housewife, a green crayon.  It really is hard to remember all of them.  Anyway, this year, one day when I was not in the greatest of   moods, it occurred to me that I felt like a goldfish in a bowl.  I have to walk amongst nine patients and assorted technicians, doctors, nurses and support staff and maintain a professional and "happy" attitude.  Boy is that hard sometimes.  I am in this glass bowl and everybody sees me and what kind of mood I am in.  And being the kind of person who wears their heart on their sleeve I am not always very good at pretending to be in a good mood when I am not.  However, I do my best.  Sometimes I just simply tell the patients I am having a rough day.  I carry on and usually there is someone there who can lift me up out of a bad mood.  So I thought that I shall be a goldfish for Halloween this year and set to work finding orange and gold items to assemble it!

     It occurred to me that as a Child of God, it doesn't matter where I am or where any of us are.  We are all kind of like a goldfish in a bowl for all the world to see.  What kind of fish do I want all those around me to be seeing?  Hopefully I will be showing others a side of me that is kind, compassionate, loving and full of joy.
In Matthew chapter 5, it says; "You are the light that gives light to the world.  A city that is built on a hill cannot be hidden.  And people don't hide a lamp under a bowl.  They put the light on a lamp stand.  Then the light shines for all the people in the house( or in my case; in the dialysis unit).  In the same way, you ( I ) should be a light for other people.  Live so that they will see the good things you do.  Live so that they will praise your Father in heaven!  Matthew 5: 14-16  Hopefully, I do that for the patients I take care of and the people I work with.  With the help of my Father, I can. There is always room for improvement.  But with God all things are possible!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Janet, I am absolutely sure that those you touch each day are lifted up in ways that you'll never know. You carry Him with you and He twinkles through your eyes and smile!!

    This was a great post, nicely written :) I definitely enjoyed it and love the pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete

Trying to find Peace

   Lord, time of quiet with You is scarce  My brain is scattered  My cup is bare I fill the day meeting needs Working Chasing Not on my knee...