Check out Wells Wheels on ETSY

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/dashboard?ref=mcpa

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The dog I ended up with...

This is my idea of a real dog!! The kids have been asking for Paul and I to get a dog for them for years.  Especially, Audrey and Faith.  Begging, asking, coercing, guilting, even.  Audrey even wrote a persuasive essay for English class last year to try to talk us into it.  We weren't interested.  Holly told me that pets are used in hospitals and other places to comfort people and that it would just feel good to hold a dog.  Faith always asked for a puppy too.  A little tiny chihuaha or other such lap dog or one she could carry in her purse.  She also only wanted stuffed dogs and toys for Christmas.  That was easy cuz I would buy those for her.  They don't shed and they don't eat and most importantly they don't do their business on the carpet!
 So needless to say; they kept asking and I continued to say no.  one day Faith told me to list the reasons why we couldn't have a dog.  So I carefully explained #1 dogs are a big responsiblity!  She said said I'll take care of it.  #2 dogs cost money.  She said I'll give you the money in my piggy bank!  #3  Dogs poop and pee on the floor.  She said I'll clean it up!  #4  Dogs have to be trained, they cry at night to go out!  She said I'll sleep with him and I'll bring him out.  #5 Dogs shed all over the place.  She said "I'll vacuum.  And after each one she woud say "check"   and Next excuse!  Boy talk about persuasive! 
     However, underneath I was kind of wondering about myself and why I had such a lack of interest in dogs.  Everyone else loves their dogs.  They talk about them, bring pictures of them to work and tell endless pet stories which, frankly bored me to tears!  I grew up with dogs as pets all my life but they weren't mine.  They were my moms dogs.  Often times our german sheperd Lady would get loose and run all over the neighborhood.  I would have to chase her down and bring her home.  I swear she would look back at me as I was chasing her down Packard Street; laugh at me and then keep running.  It was maddening.  I did not like her.  I guess they were just a nuisance to me. 
     However, since moving to Enosburg, I have been surrounded by neighbors with pets.  The beagle Freckles from across the street who would come begging at our door for food and then follow me all the way into town when I would take Faith for a walk in her carriage.  The grey hound Ollie out back who is completely timid.  He doesn't even come close enough to pet him.   Then along came Leia;  the bulldog.  One of the first times she came over, she leaned over the pool edge and fell in.  She proceeded to sink quickly and I had to jump in and save her!  She is fat and clumsy and really quite funny to watch.  Then Ezra came along.   I was drinking my morning coffee one day and into my living room walked the cutest little boxer puppy you ever saw.  Jakes new dog that he snuck in! 
     So needless to say; I have been slowly exposed to dogs and they have been growing on me.   Enough so that I was finally considering letting Faith and Audrey have one.   But I was going to think about it long and hard.  Get a dog book and research just the right one for us.  Maybe a basset hound I thought.  One that lays by the fireplace all day and looks at you with sad eyes.  Or a real dog!  Key word _REAL!   A german sheperd or mastiff.  One that will protect Us.  Definitely can't have one of those yapping, tiny lap dogs.  No sirree bob! 
     Well; as usual God has everything all planned out.   I think he had our dog handpicked for us even before he was born.  He kind of knows what we need before we know.  So Audrey went with her Dad to Massachusettes to visit her uncle and found out that they were having puppies in a few months.  She called me to tell me that she was getting one.  He was going to live at her Dads house and she already had a name for this unborn puppy!  "Grover Sanchez".  I figured, oh good.  That solves that problem.  The dog can live at her Dads and we can see it once in a while.  That way the girls will be happy and I don't have to deal with a dog. 
     In June, Audrey went back to Mass to get her dog>  On the way home, she called to let me know that her fathers landlord won't allow him to keep him.  So guess what?  Dog in hand;  Audrey walks into my work with the cutest of all puppies!  A tiny, one pound chihuaha, schnauzer mix.  So adorable.  He looks just like Benji!  I must say we all fell in love with him immediately!   He became a part of our household so quickly and got into a routine.  He listens, he doesn't bark alot.  He's playful and gentle and doesn't sniff at me too much.  "REAL"  dog.  I guess he's a REAL dog.  He is not giant and vicious.  He probably couldn't hurt a flea.  He's kind of a lap dog.  He won't be much more than 15 pounds.  Ya, he's REAL!   He runs with me.  He's devoted.  He sits at my feet while I drink my coffee.  He lays at my feet when I relax on the couch at night.  He follows me wherever I go but not in an annoying way.  He's real and he's ours and I love him!   

1 comment:

  1. GREAT batch of history here, Janet! So you had a sneaky, awesome looking, boxer in your house? I LOVE those dogs..but, I LOVE DOGS too...especially your sweet little bundle of fluffins :)

    ReplyDelete

Trying to find Peace

   Lord, time of quiet with You is scarce  My brain is scattered  My cup is bare I fill the day meeting needs Working Chasing Not on my knee...